Life continues past the months of June, July, and August and so must the counselors of Day Camp.

4.29.2005

Help me out

Iron and Wine's "The Trapeze Swinger" sure has enough lyrics. After reading them, I have some ideas about what this song means, but I'm still left a bit perplexed. I was just wondering, because some of you love it so much, what's your take on this song? Particularly, religion/heaven/God/is he the trapeze swinger or am I because I feel fractured and swung around by the end of the song? Just opening this can up, but feel freet to toss me aside if it seems too obvious to put into words.

I have a feeling a few of you don't need this link, but for the rest of you, I'm sorry I couldn't be all convenient-like and make a nicely packaged link. I just lack the skills.

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/The-Trapeze-Swinger-lyrics-Iron-Wine/38B98B6AAB77277848256FC5000A832D

3 Comments:

Blogger Spiffer said...

I'd help you out if I liked I&W, sorry. Love you Bru!

2:40 PM

 
Blogger Gator said...

Gosh, Christians, you know? Always trying to turn innocuous stuff like The Matrix into huge Christian allegories. Sure, there's lots of religious imagery in The Trapeze Swinger, but it's only imagery. The song's romantic, not theological.

(1) Dude dies.
(2) Goes to heaven.
(3) Sends a note Earth-bound to his g/f.

It doesn't say much about God, except perhaps about the dead dude's perspective on God (which is, in turn, Sam Beam's perspective on God). It's just a really melancholic, wistful look at love. The lyrics you post miss the best part, when the guy begs the girl to remember him "seldomly." (Your transcription says "soundly," which is like someone taking the last apple pie from staff dining and leaving you a chocolate-covered deer turd.)

Thanks for making me listen to it again, Bru-bear.

[Cue Mike to post some sort of contradiction or counter-argument now even though he knows I'm totally right.]

4:44 PM

 
Blogger Michael K. said...

Nay, Gator. It is just as you said.

I just wanted to add that I think a lot of the power in the song derives from its ubiquitous plea: remember me. Beam paints these little vignettes (childhood car counting, etc), offering up reasons for (yes, a girl, but also) everyone to not forget him. It's plaintive begging at its most pitiful, ergo its most human. I love this song - one of the only that clocks in at over 8 minutes that I don't find myself becoming bored with - and a lot of that is due to the lyrics saying hey, don't let me be alone - remember me. Please.

6:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home