Life continues past the months of June, July, and August and so must the counselors of Day Camp.

4.06.2008

Come visit Spiff in Folsom!


Hey guys!

I've been thinking about how excited I am for those of you who will be gearing up for another Summer and those that will be added to the family. I would love to hear an update of how everybody is doing, and I don't care if it takes a lot of typing!

Here, I'll go first. Life has been on pins and needles as I prepare to start paying the 100k that Kel and I owe in loans (She'll be back at Pondy this Summer FYI). I haven’t known where I’ll go and what I’ll do. Let me back up.

I came back to San Diego after Staff Banquet with one semester left at PLNU. I killed it, but I couldn’t find an internship with anybody, until Merrill Lynch got curious. I ended up working for the two most profitable Financial Advisors in San Diego. It was more pressure than I’m used to. I was like the Devil wears Prada. Long story short, they offered me a job when I graduated and I investigated the offer ($$$) but prayed about it and turned it down. I was bummed to say no to such a crazy opportunity.

After all that, I decided to go back to my school to say ‘thank you’ to the professor that had tipped Merrill Lynch to me. He wanted me to meet a guy he thought I would get along with, which happened to be a money manager for Merrill Lynch. He ‘grows’ the money for the very same FA’s I worked for at ML and then sends it back to ML. He tests out at genius level and he is a corky Christian like Bob Russell. Anyways, he flew me and Kelly up to Folsom where he does business. After meeting the other three guys in the office and meeting his wife, we prayed and parted ways. He loved us and called me this past week and gave me a job working with him.

It’s my dream job. It’s finance but from a Christian perspective. I can’t wait. The guys and their families are just about 5 years older than me and they all live on the same street and hang out and lead Bible studies together and BBQ with their little kids. It’s cute, but they’re managing over 300 million between them, so part of my job will be finding where to give back to the community.

I am ecstatic. Kelly wanted to live in the Sacramento area, and here we are figuring out living situations in the nice part of Sac and with an employer that cares more about Kelly’s well-being than anyone I’ve ever met. All in all, it has been a tough year but God is blessing us more than we can handle right now, and all we can do is tell others how good He is. There’s much more, having to do with our faith and all that stuff, if you have any questions, call me or Kel. We’d love to talk and catch up! I miss all of you, my brothers and sisters.

P.S. The Wallen kids are coming down next weekend to hang out with Kel and I! Whoo-hoo!

-Spiff
530.three.zero.six.9830

16 Comments:

Blogger Collie said...

Spifftacular!

sounds amazing! So wait...is there an official engagement yet? Or is it simply coming? Sorry I'm a tad out of the loop.

5:37 PM

 
Blogger Dan Meyer said...

Outstanding, Spiffer. You're the boss, man.

5:49 PM

 
Blogger alexandra said...

thanks for calling me and letting me know... i can't believe this is all happening--soon! yay! new friends in the area, can't wait! stoked for you and your new job, and your pretty girl! good times all around!

10:04 AM

 
Blogger Spiffer said...

Thanks guys. I need to get back on the blog - I will soon. In a month or so I'll be living without anyone I know nearby and just working.

No, Frodo, but I'm getting started on getting engaged to Kel. Trust me. I'm not letting her get away unless she's pregnant.

I can't believe some DC 04's are getting married off! 05's at that!

2:44 PM

 
Blogger Collie said...

Well, here's hoping that's not the case any time soon.

5:08 PM

 
Blogger Banjo said...

spiff that's awesome man... congrats with everything... the Lord provides right? amen.

good to know you are well.

10:07 PM

 
Blogger Casey said...

i loved reading this Spiffer-it is so good to know you are doing so well and the the Lord is just working things in ways that are blessing you so much! super exciting!



and since your girl is at the herm we can expect to see your face this summer...yes? miss you!

9:30 AM

 
Blogger Dr. Love said...

Spiff, you know how to roll with the big dawgs, and I love that about you.

10:36 AM

 
Blogger Spiffer said...

SO... how are YOU guys doing? Your turn to share!

11:32 AM

 
Blogger Casey said...

I am doing really good...



School is busy but the material isn't to hard at the moment and I really like all of my teachers and classes. we're learning some really interesting stuff and I actually find myself looking forward to school sometimes which is a first for sure.


Also because of the nature of my major I have the oppertunity to participate in a study looking at the benefits of olympic lifting vs kettle bell lifting on heart rate and blood pressure. So again getting to do some really interesting stuff, lift A LOT of weights, and have all kinds of crazy tests done on me to look at my heart. I am loving it.



Besides that working at a local coffee place where the customers consist mostly of cute retired couple, but work is work and i guess it's pretty chill.





FINALLY...I am so stoked for this summer. I am really spending time in prayer for the kids I will come in contact with and the DC staff. Really really really looking forward to it and getting to see some (hopefully ALL) of you guys at some point over the summer.


miss you guys and I love hearing how everyone is doing!

7:47 PM

 
Blogger Victoria said...

can i just say that kelly looks especially gorgeous in this pic? wow...

10:18 PM

 
Blogger Race said...

spiff-- you know what i love most about your story? that you gave up the "big" opportunity that most people would have taken in a heartbeat. you are awesome. i just know you diligently prayed through all of this. store away these blessings forever, friend. i'm excited you guys are getting your act together and moving up to nor cal :)

11:24 PM

 
Blogger dana said...

that sounds incredible spiffer! i'm so excited for you too and this new exciting adventure extravaganza! oh yes, and for your information, i am living in the hitch doing oss and a couple of weeks ago i opened up one of our kitchen cabinets...and right there in classic black sharpie was SPIFFER! buahaha...you would.

7:33 PM

 
Blogger Casey said...

i can't wait to get back into the DC kitchen and see spiffers name written like everywhere (phone, fridge, fire extinguisher...)

11:07 PM

 
Blogger Spiffer said...

I've tagged all over SD and the WORLD - especially the Hitch! I've gotta visit this summer, but I don't know when I can come on a weekday. Look for me in the back on a skit night! Look for my name on new walls!

Anyone else have updates on life?

3:37 PM

 
Blogger Melinda said...

ohh my heart laughed and smiled at all these comments.

Thanks amigo for sharing! I was thinking that it was a while ago when we where in SD for the conference and the fires, and you where talking about the possibilities. And now they are here and real.

Yeah God, yeah for your patience, and Yeah for you Tagging everything.

ps life is good. Ministry is real, and hard, and God is teaching me much, as I look into what he has ahead. All good, just a new season.

12:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home