Life continues past the months of June, July, and August and so must the counselors of Day Camp.

6.17.2006

What I've Been Doing This Week

So I spent my first 30-or-so hours editing together a set of DVD menus. It was as depressing as you'd expect, my clicking a mouse for nine hours per day while down Conference Drive skits were being planned and decorations painted.

I needed some dummy footage to use in place of what will become the chapters and I also needed some friends, so I pulled in tape of some of my favorite people and let you guys keep me company while I occasionally cursed my 97-inch monitor.

Excepting the goofy MH logos and crappy YouTube quality, I'm genuinely conviced this is pro-level work. Few commercial DVDs you watch feature the kind of chapter-menu-to-chapter-menu transitions I worked up here. I'm learning a lot.

Then I filmed, and am right now in the process of editing, the Day Camp Rules Video. Because I'm busy with other MH video work, I only had a day to film and a day to edit, which is about half of what I usually allot the process. I got there with this slick Canon camera and a 35-pound tripod and everyone was already on the trail waiting for their intros. Nice work, Who. I'm not sure yet where it ranks in the current four-year box set of Rules Videos, but it can handle itself in a barfight with any of them. At the very least, we utilized the Day Camp Pyrotechnics Team for the first time ever. (See below.) I'll post a link to the YouTube video when it's finished.

Dan

Camp ain't camp.



[UPDATE 4:47PM: This one time I had to scrap three hours of work because my bosses wanted to take it in another direction. So that's a drag but right now I'm crushing my way to a finish on a sharp video and having a blast. Helps that no one else is around but Juelz Santana maybe. Watch it for it sometime tonight.]

[UPDATE THE NEXT DAY: Finished the rules video last night. It's pretty good and pretty scary. I won't be caught anywhere near the premiere. Here's the YouTube link.]

7 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Sears said...

From rumors I've heard, I think that is a burning stuffed animal - - - and basically that's gotta be the coolest thing to ever hit a rules video. Props to whoever thought of it.

10:29 PM

 
Blogger alexandra said...

ok i miss day camp.

11:14 PM

 
Blogger Ryan Sears said...

And did anybody see that initial footage of bug - - anybody know when this happened? Like say, just a few minutes before she came and threw water on me while I was sleeping! Oh, and we might have filled her car with some paper balls and a cricket or two.

Notice the freakin' ad-fac guys taking all of our paper balls. Soooo COOL! Not.

1:25 AM

 
Blogger Spiffer said...

Nice. That's cool that you were able to make it look all Mount Hermony for the older folks too. Nice.

8:57 AM

 
Blogger venessa said...

i totally noticed and might i add was also laughing very hard. and i do confess i was with her throwing water on you that morning and i do have a picture of you and all your wet glory. ewww, didn't mean that to sound gross.

12:50 AM

 
Blogger Alisa Marie said...

officially the first to see day camp rules. (on youtube.) or first not on the mount to see it. whatever. i'm very impressed. and also a little scared of the things that go bump in the night. and bro made me laugh. a lot.

1:32 AM

 
Blogger Dan Meyer said...

I thought I was just joking about it being too scary for Day Camp. But the poweres that be pulled it from last night's broadcast pending reshoots and re-edits. So that makes this YouTube link THE DIRECTOR'S CUT!!! Get it before the MPAA makes me take it down.

8:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home