Life continues past the months of June, July, and August and so must the counselors of Day Camp.

4.14.2005

I previously answered this question insufficiently

In our interviews last summer, Chilly asked me "Why Politics?" I answered something you may all see one day on a DVD- - - but the answer was flacid and uninteresting. Today in my political theory class I found a more suitable answer. I'll warn you that I am really dorky and this may seem lame/dry/boring/alloftheabove, but this stuff seriously gets me excited and so I wanted to share. (Disclaimer: This is Aristotle and I only understand it because a brilliant professor has lectured on it for 4 - 5 days... so take this for what you think it's worth. I don't necessarily agree with everything said, but I think the principle is incredibly interesting.)

"Knowledge of the good would seem to be the concern of the most authoritative science, the highest master science. And this is obviously the science of politics, because it lays down which of the sciences there should be in cities, and which each class of person should learn and up to what level. And we see that even the most honourable of faculties, such as military science, domestic economy, and rhetoric, come under it. Since political science employs the other sciences, and also lays down laws about what we should do and refrain from, its end will include the ends of the others, and will therefore be the human good. For even if the good is the same for an individual as for a city, that of the city is obviously a greater and more complete thing to obtain and preserve. For while the good of an individual is a desirable thing, what is good for a people or for cities is a nobler and more godlike thing. Our enquiry, then, is a kind of political science, since these are the ends it is aiming at." -Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics

10 Comments:

Blogger Dan Meyer said...

Gosh, Fisher. I had to do some outside research in order to make tails or heads out of your boy Aristotle. Think I got the jist, now, though.

8:51 PM

 
Blogger Ryan Sears said...

Oh how I hate you G8R... I was being sincere.

10:24 PM

 
Blogger Ryan Sears said...

but you made me laugh you ass

10:24 PM

 
Blogger Andrea said...

Will there be a DVD? Gato

12:18 AM

 
Blogger Dr. Love said...

I feel what your saying Fish. I get jazzed about business, however most are wondering “What's so cool about consumer trends?"

It took me about 3 times reading it & looking up rhetoric in the dictionary to get it. Sounds like you boy Aristotle has your back.

So what does this mean Fish? Did this impact your life decision wise? Or did you put it up for kicks.

-Spidey

9:26 AM

 
Blogger Michael K. said...

Hey, Mr. Aristotle: how come the good of the city is obviously a more desirable thing than the good of the individual? Huh? HUH?!?! Commie pig.

12:59 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Love said...

I think that I may not have been clear. Fish, el presedente?

1:22 PM

 
Blogger Michael K. said...

whoa whoa - he doesn't say looking out for the individual is more desirable, just desirable. He also says, "[The good] of the city is obviously a greater and more complete thing to obtain and preserve." So he doesn't explicitly say more desirable, but the thing is implied. My anti-intellectualistic piece of non-argumentation stands: Commie Pig.

9:56 PM

 
Blogger Michael K. said...

(My irritating asides aside, it's a good piece of thinking, and an especially applicable piece for trying to make some sense out of the M.O. of the political world as it stands now. More power to you Fish for trying to do a little good (and finding actual logic to back-up that will) in a world gone crazy-like.)

9:59 PM

 
Blogger Ryan Sears said...

I also thought that this was fun:

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/thedailyshowwithjonstewart/

Copy/paste the link and then watch the interview with John P. Avion... the interview is great! Actually, everything on the website is good, and so all of you should enjoy. I have gladly given away many hours of needed sleep to this website.

Note: Bruin has a major crush on Jon Stewart - - - let's all tease her about TV crushes

3:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home