Life continues past the months of June, July, and August and so must the counselors of Day Camp.

4.04.2006

The whole story

I know I've talked to alot of you, but I thought I should write this to clear anything up.

On March 15th I got a call from Shaggie. In this call Shaggie informed me that I was not hired on staff next summer. The reason being was that he thought that there were "better things out there". He also said that he was afraid that I would become tired of Day Camp because it was the same thing that I've been doing for the last four summers. I for the most part dissagreed with the decision. However, I did agree with the logic behind it.

After a lot of crying and advice I decided to try out for youth staff. After two weeks and three meetings later I was turned down for that as well. This apparently was on the grounds that I would still be hung up on Day Camp. Chris thought that this would pose a negitive influence on the other youth staff. Once agian I understood the logic but not the decision.

Promtly after the meeting with Chris I went to see Bob. I asked if there were any spots anywhere. Apart from ADFAC, Dining, and Reg there were non.

Very much in an unquantifyed numb look on my face I walked out of Bob's office. Left with no place to go after school and no job.

The reason I'm writing this is because for the longest time I wanted you to know. This was very hard for me. I didn't want to tell you what happened until it was finalized. And although it's not the finalization that I wanted, I'm glad the waiting, stressing, and mourning are over.

So the question is, what do I do now? The answer: I have no idea.

Just do one thing for me this summer. Love the new people. We all know the first summer is hard. Take the time to go one-on-one with them. It does more than you think.

I love you all very much, and although I don't know what the future holds remember:

The child you love today, may be the counselor that loves a child 10 years from know because you showed him/her love first.

God Bless,
~Spidey

9 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Sears said...

Damn. Sorry to hear this friend.

11:48 PM

 
Blogger Spiffer said...

Sorry man. At least you know how happy somebody new will be when he/she finds out that they are just beginning a new journey as a DayCamp counselor. My friend Amy got hired, but her real name is RACE.

12:14 AM

 
Blogger Michael K. said...

I'm sorry, Spidey. You're leaving behind a legacy, brother.

12:42 AM

 
Blogger Matthew K. said...

spidey, daff called me tonight and told me all about it. this must be heartbreaking for you, but just remember that there are many great things for you to do this summer. i hope your skills are put to use wherever you end up and that this does not put you in a negative place. as for me, i am still up in the air on whether or not i am going to be there this summer. it'll definitely be a different vibe, which is a factor in my decision, one weighing on my thoughts heavily. stay up though, i'm sure there is something you're meant to do this summer and i'm sure you'll love it and be great at it.

1:27 AM

 
Blogger Dr. Love said...

Spiff: Thanks for the thought, but I'm not really ready to entertain that idea yet.

Thank you everyone for your calls, e-mails, and text messages. Sorry if I haven't gotten back to you yet. I'm really glad for the reason however. That is, so many of you have shown support...It really helps to know you care.

Always and forever,
~Spidey

12:24 PM

 
Blogger Collie said...

Hey Spidey,

I know I missed your call, but I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and I hope to see you this summer regardless.

6:13 PM

 
Blogger Daff said...

I my thoughts mirror what Frodo said. Sorry i missed your call and hope we do see you this summer. I know the kids do to.

10:20 PM

 
Blogger Alisa Marie said...

I too missed your call yesterday, and i think i was crying with you when i heard the message. At first i was upset, because I'll protect my cubs to the end, but now, I'm just praying for understanding for your guidence in an obvious difficult time. Thanks for letting us all hold you up.


And i agree with you to call out to all those returning, Embrace the new. nothings worse then being in a strange place and feeling completely alone.

10:37 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Love said...

awwwww

I love you guys.

I'm serious a little misty eyed.

12:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home