Life continues past the months of June, July, and August and so must the counselors of Day Camp.

1.19.2006

Fish's World (not crib)

I haven't posted in quite a while, and I wanted to give some updates and let myself think.

1st - The speeding ticket.
"Dead, dead, dead!" That's right - I fought the ticket and won. I spent hours upon hours preparing for my day in court, hoping to argue about legal technicalities for why I shouldn't pay my fine. It turns out that I was let off far easier; the cop didn't even show up. I was relieved, but almost a bit sad that I didn't have a chance to fight and do crazy court stuff like offer "precedent law" and tell the prosecution to "shove it." Yeah, that's right; I did my homework, and I'm a bit eccentric. My advice for speeding ticket recipients - FIGHT! E-mail me and I'll send you the book I bought about what to do. If the cop even shows up you can always ask for a reduced fine - even if you were speeding.

2nd - Speaking of fighting.
I know this will undoubtably sound like I am a cheesy rip-off of Fight Club, and maybe it's true, but I've recently had an almost insatiable urge to get in a fight. I spent a good portion of last week trying to piss off one of my friends while playing football and frisbee with hopes that he would punch me. He is more athletic than I, but we are similar size, and I thought it would be a semi-fair fight (possibly even giving him the advantage). I believe the reasoning for this (arguably insane) line of thought about fighting can be attributed to my recent feelings of flat-lining. Last quarter was a bit "normal" and "routine" for my taste, and I didn't completely know this or know what to do. I now think it was most likely the result of not being very tuned into God, but the emerging feelings in myself was an unusal attraction to extremely passionate, almost insane, individuals (everyone should look up the Rolling Stone article about Rahm Emmanuel) and ideas (like fighting one of my friends). It may sound insincere (because I don't know how to say this stuff), but I am really trying to look to Jesus to help me figure this out. This seems like a more civilized and Christian-like approach, and besides, my other tack had not been working - I couldn't get anyone to punch me.

3rd - The rest (including some tentative future plans).
I go to school (theses should die!), I am involved with church, I have friends and a wonderful girlfriend, and I work on a campaign; life is full, but of good things. I do like what I'm doing even though things can get mundane in their more or less routine nature. When I graduate I would like to work on a campaign, and of course we all know about the future presidency, but that is for later thought and profligation (the word is originally an adjective, but I tried to make it a verb (I think)) of words. I think I may want to work as part of a program called Teach for America, and I'm sure many of you have heard of it. I had been planning on taking the LSAT this spring, but it hasn't felt completely right in recent weeks. I seem to change my mind on a bi-weekly basis, and so I don't want anyone haranguing me if plans change. But as for now, this looks like a likely post-graduation objective.

Love and miss you all. Thanks for letting me put thoughts down on paper.

Fisher
(I know it says my name below, but it felt right to sign my name)

12 Comments:

Blogger Spiffer said...

whoa. Sick. I think I'll have to vote for you as president someday. You may have ways of looking at issues that nobody has ever considered. good to hear. I've gotta have one of those "I'm on my ten at Bj's so make it quick" phone conversations with you. And I miss speeding with you

1:13 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan said...

Way to go brother!! I thought you were dead for sure. I read this in a coffie house and laughed so loud. Miss you bro and I miss all of you!

9:47 PM

 
Blogger Hula said...

I love your transparency, Fish. I liked it in the summer, as with all DC peeps, and I like it now.

You inspire me to be real. Real with others. Real with myself. Real with God.

Oh, and when you run for office you can count on my vote.

1:22 AM

 
Blogger Daff said...

Hey buddy...I'm happy your doing good and I'll fight you if you want or just punch you.

10:06 AM

 
Blogger Dr. Love said...

I'd run to Mexico with Fish.

1:31 PM

 
Blogger Ryan Sears said...

Thanks for responding friends. I'm not entirely sure what to say in response except that I would totally punch Daff and I'd love to hang out with Bruin (Call me).

10:08 AM

 
Blogger Dr. Love said...

screw you fish

10:14 AM

 
Blogger Ryan Sears said...

Huh? oh, i'd "love to go to mexico with you too spidey"

11:23 AM

 
Blogger Daff said...

No No... you misunderstood. I would punch YOU.

5:44 PM

 
Blogger Ryan Sears said...

There was no misunderstanding. Daff, did you have a birthday recently? If you did - happy big 21.

6:10 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Love said...

Too late Fish, I went to Monterey instead.

12:43 PM

 
Blogger Daff said...

Yeah I did buddy. It was on the 17th and it was pretty fun.

5:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home