Life continues past the months of June, July, and August and so must the counselors of Day Camp.

4.29.2005

ugh...go bears?

For those of you over 6 1/2 feet tall, this will be redundant.

Some back story:

Homeschooled throughout pre-college, I did what any self-respecting home-schooled po' family denizen could after high school: I went to Jr. College (Chabot College of Hayward, in Hayward, for those playing at home.) I didn't like it. So I dropped out, took a semester off, and went to another Jr. College (Santa Barbara City College in Santa Barbara.) I liked it for the first semester. And then I met Meredith and fell - pretty much - in love. My social life grew by leaps and bounds. For the math-inclined, my GPA acted pretty much the reciprocal. So I moved to Meredithville and went to another JC (Santa Rosa Junior College in - haha! no, you're wrong - Petaluma.) I liked it. The scenery and company didn't leave much to be desired, so I got to the point (finally) where transferring became an option. My non-existent GPA at Chabot (a semester of W's) and my mediocre GPA at (3.5 the first sem. and, um, 1.8 the second (see - love does make you stupid)) led me to believe that my only option would be Sonoma State. Not a bad school, I thought. Nice surroundings. But I always had this idea that I wanted to go to a UC. I discovered that SRJC had a transfer agreement program with UC Davis (in Davis), guaranteeing my acceptance if my GPA was above 3.0. Because I had done a gooder job at SRJC, I qualified for this. Then I got the idea that I'd try - not very hard, because I figured my chances of acceptance were hovering just slightly above nil - to get into Cal (in California.) Per my luck, I ran into all kinds of snags. A transfer counselor steered me wrong, failing to inform that a class I needed was available only during the current semester (last fall), which information I found out 2/3 of the way into said semester. Consequently, I had 1 out of the 4 major prep requirements necessary to study English at Berkeley. According to the guy from Berkeley (Keith Schoon, in Berkeley), I needed a really strong essay to supplant my incomplete prep work and slightly-marred (by that 1.8, in Santa Barbara) GPA. Needless to say, my hopes were not set too high.

And that brings us to today, April 29, the day when UCB (in Berkeley) informs the would-be transfer students (in various other places) as to whether they have been accepted or not. Knowing that I had a guarantee transfer to UC Davis (in Chicago), I hadn't put too much stock into Berkeley's decision. Still: when I read the words:

Dear Michael,

On behalf of the University community, it is my honor to offer you admission to Berkeley!

I was slightly dumbfounded, a little bit nervous, and more than a shade excited. So there it is: my little league dream has come true, the A's won the pennant, we landed on the moon, and I'm going to Cal.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Love said...

Good man Mike. I'm proud of you. Now go out and make something of yourself.

Bring peace to the Middle East.
Cure Cancer.
Make Michel Jackson black again.

Remember there’s nothing you can't do

Congrats,
Spidey

11:32 PM

 
Blogger Michael K. said...

Make MJ black?!?! WHY?!?!! He's proo-positive that America is the only place where a poor black child can grow up to become a rich white woman.

12:47 AM

 
Blogger Michael K. said...

ahem: proof-positive. (they let this illiterate hack into Berkeley?)

12:48 AM

 
Blogger Ryan Sears said...

kick some ass son... a job well done

3:07 AM

 
Blogger Andrea said...

WOW WOW WOW! that is some incredible news! hurray so exciting!

9:31 AM

 
Blogger Michael K. said...

Ok: so am I not stuck with Zephyr? I'd kill (either Fish or Spiff) for a new name.

12:37 PM

 
Blogger Ryan Sears said...

uh.....go for javelin. i don't think you should be stuck with a name you used for a week

1:55 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Love said...

No Mike your not. Neither is Marideth. And please don't kill Fish; we have an "arrangement" set up that involves me doing stationary all summer.

So if you "know what's best" you'll take Fish off your list. Spiff however is fair game.


Camp name suggestions:

Zimmer (from Hans Zimmer)
Hot Rod
Pedro (The lion, not dynamite. Yes I'm sick of it too)
Hack (this one however is from dynamite)
Pix
Radio (from radiohead, not the Cuba Gooding jr. movie, though that would be really funny)
Sonic
Spacehog
Wilco
Actionslack
Sebastian

(Favorite)
Pinot-Now if I could change my name it would be this one. It not only is based off an excellent movie, but I can identify because I've been likened to a fine wine myself. You can have it though.

It might be cool Mike to have you as Iron and Marideth as Wine? (kidding...sorta)

-Spidey

2:17 PM

 
Blogger Michael K. said...

I was actually thinking Shakespeare, Bruin. Like..Falstaff or Bolingbroke or something. I dunno. I'm totally open to ideas. (I particularly like Wilco, Spidey - although I'm not keen on Pinot. Rather, I like it a lot, but how will that ride when one of my first graders tells his recovering alcoholic mother or father that his counselor's handle is Pinot? Or what if one of those, you know, Christians finds out what my name means? Oh bother.)

1:40 PM

 
Blogger Dr. Love said...

Shakespeare huh?

You think that Pinot is bad, try Oedipus.

lol,
-Spidey

6:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home